Specific Key West Cemetery information in regard to:
- Official Cemetery Business
- FREE Paranormal Assistance
- Key West T-Shirts & Apparel
can be found on our "Contact Info" page. This site is for informational purposes only so contact them direct.
Key West Cemetery:
The Key West Cemetery is a 19-acre cemetery located at the foot of Solares Hill on the island of Key West, Florida 33040. It is located in the northeast section of the Old Town area of the island, and it is estimated that as many as 100,000 people are buried here, many more than the 30,000 residents who currently live on the island. In 1847 it was established at its current location after a 1846 hurricane washed dead bodies from the earlier cemetery out of the coastal sand dunes on Whitehead Point near the West Martello Towers. The West Martello Tower (currently the site of the Key West Garden Club) is a historic martello tower and is located at 1100 Atlantic Boulevard. On June 24, 1976, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.. An African Memorial Cemetery was dedicated beside the West Martello Tower in 2009, where slaves, ill from the sea voyage to slavery in "The New World," were buried there prior to the US Civil War.
Key West Cemetery Marker Inscription:
Key West Cemetery was founded in 1847 following a hurricane the previous year that destroyed the earlier cemetery located near present day Higgs Beach. To protect from future flooding, the 19-acre cemetery was located here on Solares Hill, the highest natural elevation in Key West. An estimated 75,000 people are interred here, divided among parcels that reflect the cultural diversity that continues to characterize the city of Key West today. The cemetery contains a historic Catholic section, Jewish section, the USS Maine Plot dedicated in 1900, and the Los Martires de Cuba, a memorial for those who fought in the 1868 Cuban revolution. In addition to these defined areas, African Americans, Cubans and Americans, rich and poor, are interred throughout. In-ground and crypt style graves range from simple concrete copings filled with soil to elaborate monuments. Plot enclosures of wrought iron, wood, or concrete were often used to mark family plots.
The marker was erected in 2005 by the Historic Florida Keys Foundation, the City of Key West, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-551), and is located in Key West, Florida in Monroe County at the intersection of Passover Lane and Angela Street. The marker is located just to the right when traveling north on Passover Lane.